Have a go at this easy and tasty meal to get your kiddos into the Heelerween spirit.
you will need:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small eggplant, finely chopped
- 200g pouch cooked rice (we used because of its bright colour)
- 50g cheddar, grated
- 3 capsicums (ours were red and yellow)
- Heat oven to 200° C/180° C fan/ gas 6. In a small saucepan add in the oil, onion and eggplant and fry over a low heat for 10 – 12 mins until everything is soft.
- Meanwhile put the cooked rice and cheddar into a large bowl and break the rice up with your hands. Once the vegetables are cooked, tip them into your rice, season and stir.
- Cut off the top of your capsicums, saving them for later. Inside the capsicum remove any of the seeds and white flesh. On to the front of the capsicums cut out Halloween designs (with the help of a grown-up!) – we went for a spooky face, a starry night and a fruitbat.
- Spoon your rice mix into your capsicums and put the lids on top, and wrap each one individually in foil, taking note of where the design is. Put them into a roasting tin with the carvings facing upwards, but covered with foil.
- Bake for 30 mins, remove the foil and cook for another 5 mins until the rice is steaming and capsicums have just started to soften.