Yes, that’s right it’s an edible bus! Scroll down for the full recipe details.
For the cake:
- 4 x pre-bought loaf/slab cakes in your favourite flavour (you can also make your own if you’d prefer)
For the icing:
- You’ll need lots of icing! (we used a 250g easy butter recipe to make ours)
- Blue and yellow food colouring.
- 4 x round chocolate biccies for the wheel tyres
- 1 packet of wafers for the bus’ window
- 2 x round white lollies for the bus’s front lights
- Some liquorish lollies (we used the fondant part of these to make the number plates, the destination signs and the blinkers).
- Cut your cakes into rectangles to match the pictured shape. If you’re baking your own cakes make sure you’ve allowed time for the cakes to cool before shaping, icing and decorating. TIP: Before layering your slab cakes on top of each other, you might like to add some icing in between the layers to help stick them together.
- Now it’s time to prepare your icing. Place 1/2 of your icing into a small bowl and tint yellow.
- Tint the remaining icing blue.
- We recommend covering the top half of the bus with a layer of yellow icing before placing it in the fridge for 30 min to set. You can then cover the bottom half with blue icing.
- Keep a little bit of icing for later when sticking the lollies onto the bus!
- Now for the fun part! It’s time to add the rest of the decorations as seen in the below diagram (using your leftover icing to help everything stick).
- Dig in and enjoy!