Perfect for the kitchen window, or the veranda. Follow or download the instructions below and grow your own strawbs.
What you’ll need:
- Some strawberries (each strawberry has around 200 seeds!)
- Paper towel or a dishcloth
- 1 x zip lock bag or container
- A large shallow tray or a few smaller ones. This is where the seeds will start to germinate before they are moved into their permanent pot. Tip: you can even use the plastic container you bought the strawberries in!
- A pot to plant them in. Make sure there are drainage holes in the bottom.
- Seed raising mix or potting soil
It will take about 12 months for your plant to bear fruit but it will be worth the wait!
What you’ll need to do:
- Pick out the seeds from your strawberries. You can pick as many as you like, but we’d suggest at least 40-50.
- Lay the seeds out on a wet paper towel or dishcloth.
- Put this in a zip lock bag or container and place in the fridge for at least 2 weeks. If you leave them for a month, the results will be even better!
- Take the seeds out of the fridge, leaving them to come up to room temperature inside their bag or container.
- Depending on how many seeds you want to plant, add soil or seed raising mix to a pot or tray of your choice. Make sure the soil is level and flat.
- Sow your seeds evenly across the top of soil. Do not cover the seeds with soil, just place them on top.
- Gently water the surface.
- Keep the seeds warm, moist and in the light until the seeds germinate – which can happen within 2-3weeks.
- After another 8 weeks of growth, they are ready to be moved into their permanent positions. This is when you can transfer the strawberry plants to a larger pot on your windowsill or your garden bed if you have space. (You might even see some flowers at this stage!)
- When repotting your plants, place them 30cm apart to give them some room to grow!
- Keep your strawberry plants in full sun. Make sure to keep the soil moist and well drained.
- Your plant will continue to grow and produce fruits over the next few months. So just sit back and enjoy!