Beep beep! Hear that? It’s the Heeler family’s caravan. Follow these simple instructions to construct a life-sized caravan in your backyard (no gas required!).
You will need:
- A Large rectangle cardboard box, or 2 big square ones to join together
- Other cardboard boxes to use as cardboard decoration & to protect surfaces
- A good craft knife (with a grown up)
- PVA Glue
- Find a large cardboard box – this will be the main part of your caravan. Try going to a furniture or homeware store and asking them for boxes. They often have boxes from couches, tables or fridges that make a perfect caravan. Alternatively you can use smaller boxes glued together.
- Sketch out the positions of your windows and doors. Open up the box carefully at the join and lay flat on the ground (this makes it easier for cutting). Place a cutting mat or another piece of cardboard underneath where you have drawn the shapes, and get a grown up to use a craft knife to cut out the window and door shapes. Tell them to always stay safe when using a knife! Make sure the knife is sharp, always cut away from your body and hands and never force a cut.
- Turn the cardboard box inside out and re-glue it again, any printing or labels will now be on the inside and you will have a nice clean looking box on the outside.
- Use the pieces that you cut out for the windows and door to make window/door frames. Draw around the cardboard cut-outs onto another piece of cardboard, and then draw another outline 2cm out from the original outline to create a frame.
- Now, get creative with details! Cut out a small circle for a door handle, a zig zag for the side panel detail or maybe even a tow bar. Make sure you have fun and don’t forget some cardboard wheels!
- Attach everything you have created with PVA glue and let it dry.
- Now for the fun part… PAINT!!! You can paint it to look just like the Heeler caravan, or pick your favourite colours and make it your own!
- When your camper is finished, send us a photo or tag us @officialblueytv…